Thursday, July 18, 2013

Living Room gets a new look

I can't believe it has been 7 years since I painted my living room a beautiful chocolate brown.  I fell in love with that color and it went so well  with my cream furniture.   Then my DH got the brilliant idea to buy new furniture 4 years ago....it was beautiful CHOCOLATE leather furniture.  He wanted that color over all the others.....well...it made my living room very depressing with the  blackout curtains drawn during the day.



Here are the windows in my living room...as you can see the suns shines very brightly in this room and it gets to be like a furnace in the summer time.  It is horrible!  That is why I have blackout curtains, to keep the heat out and the coolness inside.  Don't you just LOVE the Tour de France that is on the TV right now???


Chocolate walls around the fireplace.  


Chocolate walls with Chocolate furniture.....very depressing......

My goal was to pain the living room a new bright color.  I looked at several shades of greens, but my eyes kept going to the lavenders....so I painted my living room lavender!!! LOVE IT!!!  MY DH came in and went...dang, we are going to need sunglasses to sit in here now!!!    I bought Valspar Signature paint with primer at Lowes and it took 1//2 a gallon of paint with only one coat!!!!!  It took me a total of 2 hours to paint my room.   I repeat...I LOVE my new living room!!!!


Since I painted it so bright, you can see I have to paint the fireplace mantle.  The smoke stains really stand out next to the lavender.   I went to Walmart to buy white paint....do you know how many shades of white there are out there????  I had to bring home 10 different sample cards and I finally found the one!  My next two projects are to paint the fireplace mantle along with putting new shades on the windows.  


When I finished, the tour was over but the Scottish Open was on.  Gotta love men and their sports!!!!


7 comments:

Shelley said...

Painting sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad I have a rental...if we paint anything we have to cover it all up with white when we leave. I don't plan on living here forever!

SoCal Debbie said...

That's amazing that you painted yourself! I have never tried. My living room walls were a nice "cardboard brown" but now they're "Maybelline foundation" color. LOL

Barb said...

Wow Vickie you certainly had some pixie dust on your paint brush, love the lavender colour well done you!

Monique said...

It looks stunning!! I love the new colour as it's very inviting. My hubby has also done most of our walls brown and most of the furniture is in brown shades (either wood or the couch). I showed him the colour I plan on painting my (to be) craft room and he also said he will need sunglasses.

England Furniture Company said...

The lavender walls seem to have certainly brightened up your living room. Thanks for sharing your project and outcome.

Christina G said...

Love that lavender. Our walls are mustard yellow, terracotta and an a Mexican-like teal/green! and my husband picked the colors, he just LOVES color!

Leeanne Dyson @ Master My List said...

The chocolate looked great but I have to say that I love the lavender more. The room looks brighter and it's a nice contrast with the dark-colored couch. Great job!