Saturday, October 22, 2011

Embroidery Machine Troubles


Jag decided to hang out with me while I spent the day in my sewing room.  He wasn't happy with me when  I took his picture and woke him up.



I LOVE my embroidery machine and was not happy when it stopped working last Sunday afternoon.  The needle stopped working and the safety device was activated.  The only thing to do was take it into the shop which is a nightmare in itself.  The local authorized Brother dealer that is closest to me is not a nice person.   I am not the only one who does not like to deal with her.  I just dreaded it!! I was thinking of driving an hour and half to a different store just so I didn't have to deal with her.  My husband was kind enough to take it in on Monday and pick it up for me on Tuesday!  He told me that it needed to be cleaned and that thread was caught under the bobbin case.  
I came home from work Tuesday night all excited and ready to use the machine.  I loaded up the next design I was working on when it died on Sunday and put in the first color.  1/2 through the first color, the needle fell out.  Ok,put that back on and finished.  1/2 through the 2nd color, the presser foot fell off....getting frustrated but I put that back on and continued. Third color, the needle caught again and stopped. Couldn't fix it so back in the shop it went and this time I had to take it in and talk with them.
Wednesday morning, I ran over the sewing store on my prep and the first person I saw was the tech. guy.  I explained what happened....he said he would look at it again, fix it with only the cost of parts.  This was after I explained everything that had happened on Tuesday evening.
Friday, finally called and they said my machine was ready.  It seems the needle plate was bent and he hadn't cleaned it all the way and he found more thread it in it.  It cost me $21.75 for the needle plate.  It has been VERY busy this weekend.  

There is a new local craft shop opening where you can rent a booth and try and sell your craft.  I am thinking of renting one and selling my embroidered rag quilts. They are 45 x 54 in size with 15 embroidered designs on them.  I am going to charge $60 for each.  Do you think that is too much???  Plus, people can place an order for a personalized one.  Hopefully, I will make a little extra money for my Christmas Disney Trip next year!!!
Tomorrow is weigh in day!  Not sure how I feel about that....little nervous but I have been very good this week!  BTW...I have 100 followers now and will be coming up with a prize to be given away soon.


1 comment:

Heather said...

Very interesting story about your machine. One of the classes I took this past weekend was about basic machine maintenance, so it is helpfully in a way to hear about what you went through.

And good luck on selling your quilts! I wish I could offer advice, but I have no idea the price of things at craft fairs. I haven't been to one in probably 30 years. (ACK!)