Saturday, August 9, 2008

EWWW- Sour towels

This is so gross but my DH and I have been dealing with sour bath towels. I accidently left them in the washer overnight. The mildew set in and we have been trying to get rid of this smell for weeks. I poured white vinegar in my washer and ran the cycle through on hot water...then I used baking soda....bleach....vinegar and baking soda together...NOTHING WORKED my towels still SMELLED!!!
So today I did some research on the web and found some fabulous advice!!! I decided to try one home remedy. I put my washer on the hot cycle, filled it up, added my tide detergent and then I put in 1/2 box of baking soda. Let it disolve, then placed my towels in the washer. I let it aggitate for a few minutes. I then stopped the washer and let the towels soak in the tide and baking soda for one hour. After the hour was up, I ran the cycle through. Placed the towels in the dryer with 2 dryer sheets and dried them.
After they were dry....I repeated the whole process again. It took all day to do one load of laundry but guess what...IT WORKED!!!! My towels came out smelling wonderful!!!!! I am so thankful about this. I just knew I was going to have to go buy all new towels!!!!!!

Ok...enough of my gross post!!!!

2 comments:

Meari said...

I had towels like that too. I used vinegar and a little bleach. It took a long time, too.

Betty said...

Thanks for the advise! I think I need to do this, as it seems our towels are never really clean and fresh. Unfortunately, since I don't want to sit in a laundromat for the better part of the day, and it's primarily our hand and dish towels, I'll probably just replace them here and there along the way. But the information is much appreciated, for future reference!